At the end of last year, Tendring District Council was fined after a member of public contracted Legionnaires’ Disease following regular use of one of its leisure centre facilities.
The man fell seriously ill and was taken to hospital where he remained for 18 days. He was diagnosed with Legionnaires’ disease, sepsis, pneumonia and chronic kidney failure.
Water samples taken at the time from the men’s shower tested positive for the legionella bacteria. Legionella bacteria can proliferate in water systems that aren’t properly maintained or cleaned.
The HSE’s investigation found that Tendring District Council had failed to adequately manage the water systems at a number of leisure centres in the district. The failings included:
- not having suitable and sufficient Legionella Risk Assessments for the leisure facilities
- not providing adequate control measures required for Legionella control
- staff were not adequately trained
- a lack of monitoring meant these failings went unnoticed for several months
Tendring District Council has been fined £ 27,000 and ordered to pay costs of £ 7,500.
Safety First Group provides a Legionella service for both risk assessment and monitoring. Through extensive monitoring, we are able to:
- Identify potential risk sources
- Propose methods for prevention
- Control, monitor, inspect and maintain water systems
- Ensure compliance with the ACoP and guidance
It is important to keep regular monitoring in place, in case anything changes with your water system, as age can be a determining factor. Failure to actively manage your Legionella risk could lead to employee illness and potential fines or even prosecutions for your business.
To learn more about Legionella Monitoring, please visit https://www.safetyfirstgroup.co.uk/services/legionella-monitoring/ or for more information, please call 0845 004 2133 or email firstname.lastname@example.org