Lets talk: Legionella risk assessment
In the first part of our ‘Lets talk Legionella’ series, we discussed how Safety First Group can help to safeguard your premises from a potentially harmful legionella outbreak.
Today we will take you through our Legionella risk assessment to help you identify whether your organisation needs to take action.
What is a Legionella risk assessment?
A Legionella risk assessment is a tool to help identify potential risk sources, as well as proposing methods for prevention, control, monitoring, inspection and maintenance to ensure your organisation is Legionella control compliant.
Where is Legionella found?
Naturally occurring in low amounts in freshwater environments like lakes and streams, Legionella, the bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ disease can become a risk to health when it gets into building water and air filtering systems. If your business premises has either of these systems, you may need a Legionella risk assessment.
What conditions do Legionella grow in?
- Water systems from 6 to 60 degrees, although the ideal temperature range for Legionella to grow is between 25-45 degrees
- Food sources such as algae, scale wood or any organic nutrient already present in water systems help Legionella to thrive
- Warm, motionless water systems that are prone to stagnation and low levels of oxygen
- The slime and dirt on pipe and tank surfaces, as well as rubber and other natural fibres found in washers and seals, water heaters, hot water storage tanks and residue found in pipes and shower
- Major sources of Legionella are the water distribution systems needed for large buildings like hotels and hospitals
What does the law say about Legionella?
Duties under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 includes a section dedicated to Legionella prevention and control, whilst The Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002 (COSHH) also provide detailed actions which must be taken to ensure legal compliance. So in a nutshell, if you haven’t ever had a Legionella risk assessment, now is the time.
How can Safety First Group help?
As one of the UK’s leading Legionella assessment and control specialists with over a decade of experience we have dedicated Legionella experts who will come and conduct a thorough risk assessment of your premises and provide you with a report that details any actions that need to be taken in order to be compliant.
Please refer to our guidance here on how we practice COVID safe work whilst on site.